bibliography on range, forages, and livestock management in British Columbia
Read Online
Share

bibliography on range, forages, and livestock management in British Columbia

  • 148 Want to read
  • ·
  • 36 Currently reading

Published by Ministry of Forests in Victoria, B.C .
Written in English

Subjects:

Places:

  • British Columbia

Subjects:

  • Range management -- British Columbia -- Bibliography.,
  • Rangelands -- British Columbia -- Bibliography.,
  • Range ecology -- British Columbia -- Bibliography.,
  • Livestock -- British Columbia -- Bibliography.,
  • Forage plants -- British Columbia -- Bibliography.

Book details:

Edition Notes

Statementby Brian M. Wikeem, Reg F. Newman, Laila W. Johnsen (Research Branch, Ministry of Forests, B.C.).
SeriesLand management report,, 32, Land management reports ;, no. 32.
ContributionsNewman, Reg F., Johnsen, Laila W., British Columbia. Forestry Division. Research Branch.
Classifications
LC ClassificationsZ5074.R27 W55 1985, SF85.4.C2 W55 1985
The Physical Object
Paginationix, 121 p. ;
Number of Pages121
ID Numbers
Open LibraryOL2326317M
ISBN 100771884834
LC Control Number86211643

Download bibliography on range, forages, and livestock management in British Columbia

PDF EPUB FB2 MOBI RTF

The Four Principles of Range Management PDF) A Different Form of R & R (PDF, MB) Livestock Grazing Best Management Practices on Crown Range in Community Watersheds (PDF, MB) Water quality and livestock grazing on Crown rangeland in British Columbia (PDF) Determining Range Readiness and Growing Degree-Days (PDF, MB). Forage production potential is high, especially on community pastures, but the grazing period is generally only 4–5 mo. Management of livestock and forage on Crown range in British Columbia may be more complex than in other regions of Canada because of the diversity of vegetation and climate and the extensive overlap of range use with other Cited by: In western Canada, both grassland and forested range are significant. In British Columbia, 70 percent of grassland range is privately owned and 60 percent of the total annual livestock forage requirement is provided by grazing on Crown rangeland (34 million hectares), 80 percent of which is forested range. Cattle grazing effects on plant species composition and soil compaction on rehabilitated forest landings in central interior British Columbia. J. Soil Water Cons. 61(3) Page, H.N., E.W. Bork, and R.F. Newman. Understorey responses to mechanical restoration and drought within montane forests of British Columbia.

as forage for livestock (as green chop, dried hay and haulms or as silage). Pods are cm long with seeds in each pod. Seeds are very variable in Flowers range from white to blue to purple. Pods are cm long containing seeds. Seed colour range from pale blown, red to black and varies. 5.   Livestock predation and its management in South Africa: A scientific assessment Edited by Graham Kerley, Sharon Wilson and Dave Balfour, , Centre for African Conservation Ecology, Nelson Mandela University, Port Elizabeth, South Africa pages, print and e-book, ISBN: (print), ISBN: (e-book). Analysis of livestock use of riparian areas: literature review and research needs assessment for British Columbia. B.C. Ministry of Forests, Forest Science Program, Victoria. Working Paper . in British Columbia, and many bands continue to use grasslands for ranching, hunting, and other traditional purposes. Grasslands play a critical role in BC’s ranching industry. Grasslands serve as a forage base for grazing cattle and sheep as well as providing space and water resources. Healthy grasslands are necessary.

grass rangelands used for livestock are in the four western provinces with British Columbia accounting for ~36%, Alberta with ~29%, ~24% in Saskatchewan and ~8% in Manitoba. These grasslands vary from region to region and even property to property in terms of forage productivity. As a result, livestock grazing programs must be adapted for. BRITISH COLUMBIA SPECIFIC REGULATIONS FOR. BEEF PROJECT. 1. The Beef Project includes: Unit 1 - The Beginner Beefperson. This project is designed for the 4-H member who does not presently own a beef animal, but who wishes to learn more about the project while participating as an active member of the club. The forage resource used for livestock grazing and production of forage crops covers over 36 million ha of Canada's land base (%) (Horton, ). This compares to 25 million ha in grain and oilseed crops. This is divided into 72% native range (26 million ha), 11% cultivated pastures (4 million ha) and 17% forage crops (6 million ha) (Table 1). Province-wide, and in the Columbia Basin, Crown land accounts for about 60% of livestock forage, and private land the other 40%. Ponderosa pine (PP) and mid-elevation Interior Douglas-Fir (IDF) zones can be extremely productive for forage, and Englemann spruce-subalpine fir (ESSF) less so (graph at left).